Brand New Online Version
How much knowledge do you and colleagues in your organisation have about the basics of building construction.
A dwelling that has fallen into a poor state of repair due to landlord inaction can breach the Decent Homes Standard, which social housing providers in England must adhere to. Disrepair is detrimental to the health and wellbeing of tenants, can lead to stress, annoyance and aggravation, and be costly to rectify.
Upkeep Training’s ‘Basic Building Construction’ online one-day course teaches staff working for housing companies how buildings are constructed, how to spot common problems in the wall and roof structure and how to raise orders for necessary repairs.
By taking the course online, you are able to reduce travel time and costs while still having all the benefits of the training. All course documents are emailed to you for download made available to you and numbers remain limited so that we can still allow interaction between and amongst trainers and attendees. They are also structured for comfort and refreshment breaks.
Scheduled courses are delivered by Zoom and if your organisation wants a bespoke session, we can use Microsoft Teams if you prefer.
What the online course covers
- The components of a building
- Understanding foundations
- Recognising different types of wall construction
- Key components: damp proof courses, wall tiles etc
- Describing defects in walls
- Identifying the main components of flat and pitched roofs
- Understanding roof spaces
- Typical defects in flat and pitched roofs
- How to diagnose common defects, including rain penetration and other defects
Who should attend
Our online course is for staff of local authorities and housing associations, housing officers and inspectors, administrative staff, customer service officers, staff involved in customer relations and repairs ordering, project workers and caretakers. This course would also be useful for tenant representatives.
Dates and Times
(Both sessions form the full course = 5hrs total)
- Session 1 - Tues 23 March, 10am-12.30pm
- Session 2 - Thurs 25 March, 10am-12.30pm
- Session 1 - Tues 11 May, 10am-12.30pm
- Session 2 - Thurs 13 May, 10am-12.30pm
- Session 1 - Tues 7 Sept, 10am-12.30pm
- Session 2 - Thurs 9 Sept, 10am-12.30pm
£295 + VAT per person to attend the public online course, or for groups of 8 or more, please enquire about an in-house course
Download the Datasheet here for more information.
Online - Basic Building Construction
Upkeep’s courses have been developed by, and with industry experts.
All of our tutors have current or recent professional industry experience which means that you are learning from professionals with a great level of experience and skills.
If you would like to find out about a bespoke training package tailored to meet your needs and those of your organisation. Get in touch at email@example.com or give us a call on 0208 123 0804.