Surveyors and maintenance staff in housing deal with a range of complex repairs challenges every day.
Giving housing staff an understanding of housing law can benefit housing associations and local authority departments in several ways including helping prevent possible legal action by residents.
This one-day housing law and repairs course provides an overview of housing law from a maintenance and repairs perspective.
It is designed to provide clarity on the roles and responsibilities of landlords and residents and teaches the legal framework, key legislation and case law. This programme helps candidates develop confidence through knowledge.
What the course covers
- Key housing laws and their impact on everyday situations
- Working with residents with different types of tenancies
- The legal position with regards to the work of other colleagues in the organisation
- Advising colleagues in a confident manner on specific issues like condensation and damp based on case law.
By the end of the session candidates will have:
- Gained an overview of the legal framework setting out civil and criminal routes of action
- Discussed contracts, security of tenure and the key Housing Acts outlining the different types of tenancies
- Understand the different rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords
- Outlined the key laws covering repairs and maintenance
- Explored case law covering disrepair, damp and condensation, sound insulation
- Examined the implications of housing law on repairs and maintenance service delivery.
Who should attend
This course benefits staff who work in maintenance and repairs roles within housing associations or local authority housing departments.
Length of course
1 day - 9am to 5pm
Price stated is Per Person for 1 day training.
Download the Datasheet here for more information.
Housing Law & Repairs
Upkeep’s courses have been developed by, and with industry experts.
All of our tutors have current or recent professional industry experience which means that you are learning from professionals with a great level of experience and skills.
We currently hold all of our scheduled courses in London, but are planning to start delivery in the midlands, north west and north east over the coming months.
If you can’t make it to London, we can come to you with a bespoke training package tailored to meet your needs and those of your organisation. Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call on 0208 123 0804.